Last night a friend asked if I wanted to accompany her to a movie at Nitehawk that her friend made, and I had no plans and said yes, then asked what it was. She said “a documentary about some band, Of Montreal” and I just opened my mouth. When the fuck was the last time you thought about Of Montreal? My last year of high school through maybe half of my sophomore year of college, I put at least one of their tracks on every mix CD (lol) I made for driving around lower NY in the summertime, but after their foray into folk-y shit I kind of forgot. The late 00’s were definitely a great time for indie dance, with all the multi-instrument supergroups and performance art-esque shows, and I truly do regret not going to see them live during that time. Fuck college.
Anyway, I missed the first ten minutes of the film, but learned a lot in the next hour.
- Kevin Barnes, front man and essentially the band itself…isn’t gay?
- No, really. He’s not gay.
- I had never thought about this before but he was actually kind of hot at some points, like without the makeup and stuff.
- The fun and dancey electronic years that I was so into came from a really DARK place…
- The front man of every indie band you have ever liked in college is probably kind of a dick, but it’s art.
- You really should have taken the opportunity to see an Of Montreal show live.
- No one else really cared about the Outback commercial enough to ask, but Kitty and I did. We really did. You know what I’m talking about, THIS ONE!
- Being in a band looks like a lot of fun but someone will probably ruin a friendship so, good luck with that.
But hey, I don’t want to spoil the whole thing for you. Until I sat down in the theater, I didn’t even know I was curious about the behind-the-scenes story of this band, but I was hooked. Shouts to you, Jason Miller, for making me give a shit. *prayer hands emoji*
Check out the remaining screenings below for a date near you, and the site here. If you’re NYC based, you can see it tonight at the IFC Center, but you suck for missing it at Nitehawk last night because you can get drunk there >:)